background

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting Hadley's Cast Off

The day finally came to get Hadley's cast off! It was a little bit scary for her with the loud noise and the saw coming at her, but once it was over, she did great. It took a little while to get through all the layers of cast, but then afterwards I got to wash her up with a sponge and water and put a lot of lotion on her. Her skin looked awesome overall. A lot of kids when they get there cast off are all bruised and dry and a lot even have open sore spots, but Hadley's skin looked great other than dirty and a little red. But thats all gone now! After getting her cast off we waited around to talk to the Dr about some stuff. We will not know any results until next wk when she goes back in to get another cast. They will xray her and we'll see if there's been any improvements. They informed us that with the first couple casts, there isn't always improvement, but there could be with the later casts. Dr also reminded us that kids with curves over 60 degrees, the chances of having surgery are much higher than under 60 degrees. He pretty much said with statistics, there hasn't yet been any cases that a child with a curve over 60 degrees that hasn't needed surgery, but he would be happy to have the first. And so would we. Hearing that stabbed me right in the heart and I did everything I could to not break down in front of them. But Andy reminded me again that statistics are nothing compared to what God can do. He could straighten her spine up right now if it is his will. We just have to trust that his plan for Hadley and her back is for the best, whatever journey it brings. But please pray that she wont have to have the surgery because if she does, they will try to postpone it until she is 3 or 4, but then after that, she'll have to have surgery every 6 months until she is done growing which is around age 8 or 9. That sounds horrible to us and is obviously our last resort. So, that is how our day down in Chicago went. Weather turned out great and driving went fast! Hadley is happy to be free! We took a bath later that night, but I will post this on another post! :) Thanks for your prayers and please pray for next wk. I'm dreading it soooo much. I don't want to give my baby back! I want to keep her squishy little body forever! But I know its for the better to recast her :/








1 comment:

  1. awwww, bless!

    were you in tears once it was off? seeing your baby's skin again... holding her....

    awww! i'm so thankful for this time you get!

    best wishes on this next week! :)

    ReplyDelete