Here are the latest updates:
As for Mianna, we had her apt on Friday. She went in very well. I got her changed in the dressing room. There were lockers in there just like at the YMCA when we go swimming. So the first thing she says when we get in there is, "We go swimming!"
I felt so bad! Of course I said, no and explained what was going to happen. She still didn't understand very much.
After getting her gown on, we went to the waiting room till she was called. When we got in the xray room, the nurse explained to Mianna what was going to happen. Then they had her lay on the bed with nurses all around her. Andy and I got to be up by her head holding her hands. They walked through all the procedures with her as they were doing it. First they washed her off with a cold soapy cloth and believe it or not, she screamed and cried more for that part than any other one. She said it stung. After that they put the catheter in. She cried, but did better than the washing part. Then they did the xrays and she was very good! The results were the same as last year. She had the urinary reflux still on her left side, grade 2, 5 being the worst. So, we have to continue her antibiotics and check again next year. We just hope that she will out grow it by the age of 6 so she doesn't have to have the surgery. In the end, she got a lot of stickers and they gave her a Dora coloring kit for being so good. Then we took her to the mall to get some ice cream! She was such a big strong girl!
As for Hadley, on Wed night after her Dr apt last wk, we decided to go to a so called pediatric chiropractor who freaked us out. He talked to us for awhile, then checked her out. He looked at her and was shocked. He said she has probably a 25 degree curve. I asked if that was bad and he bluntly says, "yes." He said we need to get to Children's asap. I looked at Andy and I think we both turned ghostly white. The last thing you want to hear as parents is that your child has something bad wrong with her. He was making it sound like Hadley was horrible! He said he never saw this in a baby. Of course he said he should be able to fix this in 2 months! hmm.... So, we left feeling pretty scared! The next day, Thursday, Andy was in panic mode and wanted to get to Children's right away, so we went that afternoon to get her xrays. That was HORRIBLE! They put bean bags on her legs and arms and put her in a head brace and taped it down to the table. They taped her chin up so she couldn't open her mouth. She was trying to cry, but she couldn't so she was just blowing bubbles. It was so sad!!!! She looked at us like, help me! I don't want to do that again!
(This is one of the x-rays. If you can follow her spine you can see how it is curved)
We got done and we took the xrays with us so we could go to another chiropractor(Andy and mine). We had a better feeling about him because my family has been going to him for years, and Priscilla goes to him so he is well known. He was not working so we had his coworker evaluate the xrays. He said she definitely has scoliosis(curvature of the spine) and he's never seen it in a 6month old before, but said not to worry because chances are the children's hospital orthopedics have. She also has tortecollis, but we already knew that. When we left, 20 min later I got a call from our chiropractor. His coworker called him and told him what was going on. We thought, WOW, our chiropractor called us on his day off. He must really care. He talked to me for awhile and was very fatherly. He said not to worry. He has a daughter with scoliosis as well so he knows a lot and has a lot of resources. He said he knows the orthopedic Dr's at Children's and he will call them and work with them to accommodate the best solutions for Hadley. We were quite impressed! He also said he has never seen scoliosis in a 6 month old, but he would love to take on her case and work with her. Our insurance only covers 15 visits per year and Hadley would over due that in 3 wks so he said that if money was an issue, not to worry and he'd do it for free! What a praise! God is definitely working things out for the better. What a relief it is to know he is guiding us and is with us every step of the way on our side! We were so thankful. Dr. Ziegler is a christian as well, so we felt pretty sure about our decision to work with him.
We have a orthopedic apt at Children's on Wed. at 4pm. That is when we will have most of our questions answered! They will know what to do with this case whether it be a brace or just monitoring it for awhile. So, please keep that apt in your prayers! We will keep you updated with what they say! Thanks for all your prayers! God is definitely answering them!
Oh Shauna, what a horrible experience for Hadley and you guys to have to go through the x-rays. I'm so glad that's over (as I know you are, too)! I am praying for you and for Hadley's body. Maybe since they are seeing this so early is a praise, too. Her bones are still so soft, maybe the doctors will be able to correct the problem easier. I lift you and your family up before the Lord. He knit Hadley together and she is fearfully and wonderfully made! I praise Him for your two sweet little miracles. They are precious! Let me know if you need help with anything or if you need a babysitter for any of the appointments.
ReplyDeleteWow, that was a horrible week...praise God that He gave you the strength to get through it. I feel so bad, I didn't really get much of a chance to talk to about your week...I didn't realize how hard it had been. Thanks for sharing on your blog, so I can be praying.
ReplyDeleteWhen James was about 6 months old he had to have an x-ray on his chest (having trouble breathing). I was there by myself...it was HORRIBLE!! I felt so aweful standing there watching him strapped to the machine. I cried just about as hard as he did. So, I know how you feel to watch your baby go through that.
Sounds like God is doing so good things though through all of this....what a praise!! I will keep praying for you guys. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything...I mean it! You know I'm always home.
I love you guys!
my cousin also has this..... she's around my age.... it can cause back pain..but with faithful routine check ups with a chiropractor...it can be something you can live with. It's an awesome thing that you noticed it this soon in her life...
ReplyDeleteBest of luck!
p.s. Ashes had an xray when she was younger as well, this was just for a chest cold that ended up to be nothing.... but I totally know what you mean about watching your lil one be sooo scared and unsure of what's going on, and not being able to comfort them! Just make yourself feels better by remembering that THEY DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF IT! :) isn't that awesome?!?!?! :)